Parents of the navagrahas..
Grahas : Graha means gravitational body not Planet. “The Grahas referred to in The Vedas are Surya, Chandra, Brihaspati, Shukra, Budha, Shani, Kuja, Rahu, Ketu. The Vedas extensively refer to Nakshatra month names and moon pointing at different Nakshatra’s for various purposes. The European view (originally from Chaldian and Kassarian cultures of Middle East and from Egypt), propagated by Greek philosophers, of the night sky and the star system ran in a different direction in ancient times in that Sun was considered as the pointer to skies. In contrast, the moon is considered to be the primary pointer from vedic astronomical point of view.
- Surya’s parents are Aditi and Kasaypa, the son of Marichi and grandson of Brahma.
- Surya and Sandhya/Chaya are the parents of Sani
- Atri and Anasuya are the parents of Chandra. (See Also : Chandra Deva, Atri’s son and Indra’s Uncle)
- Chandra and Tara are the parents of Budha.
- Kuja is the son of Siva and Bhumi.
- Brihaspati is the son of Angirasa and grandson of Brahma
- Sukra is the son of Bhrigu and grandson of Brahma.
Maya is also said to be the son of Vipracitti and Simhika and a brother of Rahu. Simhika is said to be a chaya grahi rakshasi or a rakshasi who catches shadows. She tried to prevent Hanuman from reaching Sri Lanka. This is all the more interesting since Rahu is a chaya graha or a shadow graha. As the author of Surya Siddhantam, Maya described how eclipses were caused.. and it had nothing to do with anyone swallowing the sun!! Ketu is a “clone” of Rahu…
Authorship and Copyright Notice : All Rights Reserved : Satya Sarada Kandula