Uccha, Neecha, Exaltation, Debilitation and Declination
Let us continue with our study of geo-centric or “observable” or ancient Indian astronomy.
Zero Length Shadows : To cast a zero length shadow the Sun or Moon must be exactly overhead. This can happen only at noon, but not every where, on everyday of the year. Please Read : http://daphne.palomar.edu/jthorngren/tutorial.htm for a very clear and basic explanation. Beyond the tropic of cancer and the tropic of capricorn, towards the poles, the sun is never directly overhead. When the sun is directly overhead at the tropic of cancer, the sun is at a 66.5 degree angle at the equator. At the North Pole on the summer solstice, the sun circles around all day 23.5 degrees above the horizon.
|Graha||Uccha Rashi||Neecha Rashi|
|Surya (Sun)||Mesha (Aries)||Thulam|
|Chandra (Moon)||Vrishabha (Taurus)||Vrischika|
|Mangal (Mars)||Makara (Capricorn)||Kartakam|
|Budha (Mercury)||Kanya (Virgo)||Meena|
|Guru (Jupiter)||Kartakam (Cancer)||Makara|
|Shukra (Venus)||Meena (Piesces)||Kanya|
|Shani (Saturn)||Thulam (Libra)||Mesha|
|Rahu (Moon’s Node : Dragon’s head)||Vrishabha (Taurus)||Vrischika|
|Ketu (Dragon’s tail)||Vrischika (Scorpio)||Vrishabha|
Mesha starts in March – April.
The Sun is exalted in Mesha., therefore we are talking about the Spring Equinox, when the equator gets the direct rays of the sun at noon.
Therefore, the points of exaltation described below are with respect to the equator and not with respect to say, Ayodhya.
Astrologically speaking, a graha is most powerful when it reaches its degree of exaltation.
Precession of Equinoxes means Precession of Exaltation :
- If the Spring Equinox shifted Kritika Nakshatram to Aswini Nakshatram, then the Sun’s Exaltation point as abserved at the equator also shifted from Kritika Nakshatram to Aswini Nakshatram.
- If at one point, the Sun was Exalted (Equator) in Revathi, that means that particular spring equinox occurred approx 26000 years ago.
Nakshatra of Sun’s Exaltation varies with the earth’s latitude :
- Today, if I SEE that the sun is exalted in Mesha Rasi, Ashwini Nakshatram, then I may be sitting on the equator.
- Today, if I SEE that the sun is exalted in Karkata Rasi, Punarvasu Nakshatram, then I may have in mind, a place on the tropic of cancer.
- Today, if I SEE that the sun is exalted in Makara Rasi, Dhanishta Nakshatram, then I may be sitting on the tropic of capricorn.