Saptarishi (Great Bear) Positions according to Varahamihira and Vateswara
Reference : Saptarishi Calendar,
Note : I am in the process of finding and verifying some original sources (Vishnu Puranam etc).. in order to clear up some matters. For eg : from the data below it appears that Kaliyuga Raja Vrttantam is counting “backwards” from Makha to Aslesha and that Vishnu Puranam is counting “forwards” from Makha to Poorvashada.
- Saptarishi Position at the Time of Parikshit’s Birth and Yudhisthira’s Coronation : 74/75 years after Makha beginning : 3138 BCE
- Saptarishi Position at 0 Kaliyuga : 3102 BCE
- Aslesha (given : computed by author ): direction counting backwards by 25 years
- Kaliyuga Raja Vruttantam
- Saptarishi Position at MahaPadma Nanda (Chanakya): Poorvashada middle (observed):
- This is calculated as 10.5 centuries.. direction of counting forwards..
- Taking the direction of counting backwards, and using 100 year per Nakshatra Rule, I get 1650 years after Kaliyuga to the middle of Purvashada (1552 BCE);
- Vishnu Purana, IV, 24.112)
- For resolution see : Which Nanda was indicated by the Saptarishis in Purvashaada Nakshatram : Vishnu Puranam
- Saptarishi Position at the beginning of the Saka Era referred by Varahamihira : (beginning 2526 years after Yudhisthira.. as calculated by Varahamihira, using the 100 year per nakshatra rule given by Vrddha Garga and quoted by Varahamihira).
- We calculate Aslesha counting forwards.
- We calculate Poorvaphalguni counting backwards.
- Brihat Samhita
- Saptarishi Position at the beginning of Saka Era referred by Vateswara :
- Vateswara Siddhanta
- 4000-3102 = 898 BCE
- 4000 years corresponds to a movement of 42.3 nakshatras as per Vateswara; 42.3-27=15.3
- This brings us to the beginning of Uttarashada (counting backwards).
- This brings us the to the beginning of Uttarabhadra (counting forwards).
Saptarishi Position presently : Poorva Phalguni as per Vateswara, Hasta as per Varahamihira, counting backwards.
- Arudra according to me.. just looking at the sky map,, I may be wrong
- If Arudra is right then Bharata War is 58 centuries ago, not 51 centuries ago…
Authorship and Copyright Notice : All Rights Reserved : Satya Sarada Kandula